I've been googled!

Last Friday a recruiter working for google sent me a very nice and friendly inMail on my LinkedIn account. It was a pretty surreal experience. To begin with I didn't know that google actively searched for people, but rather sifted through the tons of incoming applications.

Today we have a scheduled phone meeting, which will probably go OK. Now, if you're not up to speed with the way google works when recruiting this might seems like my big chance. Not so.

My research have confirmed the following points;

1) Google continually searches for potential candidates to various positions withing the company, Note the word 'potential'.
2) Even if you pass the first and second interview (which will be increasingly challenging), the next steps are a grueling two-day interview marathon, where up to 20 different people will challenge you on a variety of topics - not necessarily ones relevant to the position you think they want you for.
3) Every single one of these people will have to recommend you to a final decision-maker, who is not part of the actual interview process who can drop you for "cultural incompatibility" or some such reason.
4) The process can and will take several months to finish, with many irregular starts and stops between start and rejection.

On top of this, I'm not even actively seeking a new job. I'm trying to create my own company with the composer!

To google's defense, it seems that their recruitment process is intended to make pretty certain that they don't recruit any bad apples, even if that means that they'll skip a few good ones in the mean time.

My bet is that I'll pass the two first interview (by phone, since I'm in Sweden and the recruiter - sorry, technical sourcer - is in Denver, for some reason), and then fail miserably on the first day of face-to-face interviews when it is unearthed that I never found George R.R. Martin's books particularly good. Another possible end is that they finish two whole face-to-face ingterview thing, give thumbs up, hide for seven months, and finally send me a machine-generated rejection letter for the wrong position, citing provably false shortcomings.

Or, who know, me and my family might gets whisked out on a magic carpet and relocated - cats and all - near Mountain View.

And _then_ I can sell the composer to google (wringing hands)

Comments