Return to dojo revisited

Argh. I don't know how to say this, but.. I had an idea that I should check out jQuery and Ext and maybe spliff upp my interface *so that it looks nicer* to be able to lure people in and actually try things out.
After a week of that, coinciding with the release of dojo 1.0.0 (with the übercomplete Grid component), I felt that I had have enough of hunting about for non-documented css files or cryptic references.

The place where dojo really shines is that all components, widgets, what have you, are self-contained and auto-load their own resources. I had relied so much on that so I didn't realize how advance dojo's resource system really was.

In jQuery for instance, it's possibly to write a plugin (for a kind of cool-looking menu, say) which refers to half a dozen of css files, which have been released in various version.

In dojo, you cannot do so. If you write your own widget, dijjit, whatever, you define the html/css look and feel right there and then. More or less, bear with me here.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that in just a couple of hours I'm almost at the same point with dojo-1.0.0 as I was with jQuery for a week. OK, I know the API, but anyway. The new release looks way better as well :)

Cheers.

Comments